Glamour girls know that the easiest way to perk up a day is with a fresh new manicure to take the pain away. You may be distracted day dreaming, watching the tube or reading a magazine while a manicurist is going to town on your tips, but that doesn’t mean you should completely ignore the process happening before you. Make sure your nail wiz is doing the following to ensure your hands are always (and money) are always safe and secure.
1. Clean tools are uber important when it comes to nail care. They should be washed of the previous person before they go anywhere near your mitts. The nail technician should also have a fresh cloth or paper towel laid out for patrons to rest hands on.
2. Nails should be filed in one direction. They should never be filed back and forth as this can cause tearing and rips that may lead to jagged, broken nails. File nails over the tip of your nail to file it into your desired shape and smoothen it.
3. Feel free to push cuticles back, but whatever you do, don’t cut them. This is an easy way to bring bacteria into your body. Cuticles are intended to seal skin. Pushing them back is the safest way to get a nice, clean nail bed.
4. Base coats are your best bet for creating an ultra smooth canvas for nail polish. Not only does it protect nails from straining, but it also allows colored nail polish a solid base to adhere to to maximize its wear. Polish will remain vibrant for longer when applied on top of a good base coat.
5. Top coats are the perfect way to add extra shine to your fresh, new mani. Runs a topcoat over the tip of the nail, which will help seal in color. With this, paints are less likely to chip when facing tasks like keyboard typing and washing dishes. Follow these tips to stretch your manicure way past its intended date. Bonus tip: If it’ll be a few days before you’re able to get to the salon, paint grown-out acrylic nails in a dark, dark shade to conceal the bottom, natural nail.